Friday, July 10, 2009

Stress Baking

College Entrance Exams, refresher courses, quizzes, homework, CAT! The stress got to me.


On the way home, I suddenly realized that there was a tropical depression around Katipunan since it was raining incredibely hard. Good thing I brought an umbrella, which almost snapped in two because the wind was so fierce.



As soon as I got home, my brother prepared roast turkey with stuffing. I know that it's not the time of year to be serving a formal roast turkey, but it was really moist and the stuffing was fragrant. After I ate platefulls of turkey and stuffing, I was craving for something sweet, and I was still stressed. I wanted cookies. I remembered a really simple, but healthy-ish recipe from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger. Ellie Krieger hosts a show on the Lifestyle Network, Healthy Appetite, and creates simple but healthful recipes, some of which are desserts. I bought her book a couple of weeks ago, since I tried a few of her recipes available on the Food Network website. My sister even said that her food was too nutritious that no one would crave for it except her husband, who if you've seen him on the show will know that he looks kinda like an actor (Bradley Cooper), and she used her craveful food to capture him.








One recipe that I really trust is her Triple Chococlate Chunk Cookies. The cookie is moist, soft, chunky, chocolatey, a little healthy, and super easy. I just dump in the ingredients, mix them together and bake. I find the recipe foolproof because of all the many times I have made them, they have turned out great. She even gives out the nutritional information of each recipe, and these cookies have only 110 calories (Mrs. Fields' cookies are around 340 calories each. Yikes!). Though I changed the recipe a bit and instead of Chunk Cookies, it has become Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.

First you need:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark or light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (Cadbury produces the most fragrant result!)
3/4 cup chocolate chips (not mini)
2/3 cup chopped nuts (any, but I prefer peanuts or almonds)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and butter. Once thoroughly mixed, add the oil and egg, and continue mixing until incorporated. Mix in vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Stir the chocolate chips, I like Nestle Toll House chocolate chips, but any brand will do, and nuts in with the dry mixture (flour and cocoa powder). Add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar-oil-egg mixture. Using a rounded tablespoon, scoop the batter onto an ungreased baking parchment (if using normal parchment paper, rub some oil onto the parchment) on top of a cookie sheet. Bake until cookies are just set, around 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool for aound 15 minutes. Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container, where they will keep for 4 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment